Skip to main content

Beware of Overspecialization

 

Having a passion and practicing it is great!
But when you see somebody doing something, be it a result, rank, etc., and your Ego raises its ugly head saying: "I want that goody too!" - that's the "overspecialization" I warn you from.

Here's a truth we must admit: WE KNOW IT!
The numbers in a powerlifting meet the ranks in girevoy sport, the average time to finish a race.
Then why after seeing somebody we don't know and care about do it, we "suddenly" got our mojo working?

It's our Ego, performing a "James Dean" stunt on our life and health.
We begin to focus and train for "that goody" neglecting and leaving out good things behind. We stop growing and evolving. We're deaf and blind to our own souls and body. We begin to "overspecialize" for... for what my friend? 

Who's life we're trying to emulate, dumping our own?...

This is a crossroad one should be very careful about!
It's either being true to yourself or chasing the Joneses and being miserable for the rest of your life!
The irony is that these "others" that made you wrack your life by chasing their numbers, don't care neither about you nor your effort. Hell, they don't even know you exist. They're busy living and fulfilling THEIR lives - rightfully so- and you should do the same!

Twice, I stepped away from Girevoy Sport and Strength training exactly for that same reason. I've ended up injured, miserable, and HATING that very thing that brought me joy, made me evolve, and made me strong in the first place - I wanted that fucking goody so damn much.....

Here's my Two Steps approach to handling these situations (life included):

1. Do I REALLY want this or I'm being envious? 
What prevented me from doing this in the past?
2. Can I SINCERELY be happy about that person's achievement?
Yes? - Reach out to congratulate them on their win - that's real strength!
Not? - It's your Ego.

After 1&2 are ✅
You have the right to ask yourself that ONE question that matters -

"Am I ready now? Has the time come for me to rise up to it?"

The answer is yours.
So does the journey.
Enjoy it.

Comments